Tuesday, January 13
My little secret
 
I type this as I am in the midst of my stats tutorial 1. I type this not in frustration at how thick this module can be, nor do I type this as I bang my head against the wall or the monitor. Definiately not the monitor, my LCD is fragile. It does not deserve the damage I render unto my head.

I type this as I totally enjoy using R. R, the statistical programme we're using now in our stats module, in lieu of last semester's MiniTab and expensive and professional SPSS (which I've tried using before, once at work, and then the programme kinda died on me and the computer then proceeded to be infected by a virus, hence causing the machine to be only able to run CM3 and Diablo2, which kinda works out in the end, for me) can be seen, in a sense to be inferior to MT and SPSS in a certain way: it lacks a proper GUI.

It runs like a heady mixture of Unix and Dos, and more Unix than Dos actually, for it is only like Dos in it's command prompt interface, of which Unix has, and hence it's runs like a heady version of Unix. Now, I've only touched unix once, about 7 years back and I can't say I remember much, but yeah, it's very like unix. And it's like programming. It's like some obscure version of C which evolutionists forgot to do something about.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but one thing for sure is that it's too easy. All these command prompts probably look like gibberish to majority of the students, but it's actually very simple and logical. R, in flight, is a marvel to behold. It is in fact deceptively simple to use, barring the lack of nice little text boxes for us to fill in like Excel, but hey, who needs them? And I suppose, if lucky enough, some people might be able to find a GUI add-on to R, if it's even been programmed.

I like R. You all should like R too. This tutorial is the easiest stats tutorial I've ever done ever.

I wish the rest of the semester would be like that. Except that, well, everybody's going to do this tutorial well.

EDIT: Oops! Heh.. made 2 mistakes. Good thing I checked... finishing a tutorial in 20min not a good idea.

Another Edit (Making it a habit): Tutorial 2 just came out fresh! 5 min ago it couldn't be accessed and now... SO FRICKING FUN!!!!! Will do some programming, my lab report and then this. WOOT!

  

 

Comments: Post a Comment

ARCHIVES
December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 December 2006 January 2007

Stuff
Viv
Sam
Kakita
Pete
Raydance
Dexter