Thursday, January 8
Plato Does Pilates
 
Before I go on any further, let me proclaim that this, yes, THIS! Has been a Wednesday. It's now Thursday tho, but as I was writing this in my head - as I am prone to do, it is in a sense, of course, good form and perfectly fine in my own view, of which occurs in my head - it was a Wednesday. Hence, it has been a Wednesday. Do not refute that, it will do your no good to argue against my perfectly perfect point of view for arguement's sake.

A day of 3 (count them!) different lectures, of 3 VERY different teaching styles, and of a wild dumbass "Hi I'm being a jock/ass" once again. Of course, I'm not a stupid asshole, other people (person) are.

First things go second, so the second thing now comes first. The second lecture of the day was the very interesting and intimidating PHILOSOPHY, also known as (aka) Reason and Persausion. After 2 hours of mind boggling text, I now totally realise why I never had the philopsical persuasion. It is over my head, and my thought processes are only suitable for something as complex (preferably less) as KOTOR.

Speaking of KOTOR, it is good. Go play KOTOR. Do not pause to wonder what it is, you know what it is. It is KOTOR. Go play KOTOR. Or not. It depends on you, I guess. I won't force you to play anything, well, maybe, other than KOTOR. Go play KOTOR.

Onions have layers. And parfait. Kueh Lapis too.

Now that the second "major" occurance has been split, I shall go back to being conventional again, by all means necessary. That, of course, involves, talking about philosophy. Now, imagine going thru a lecture about Socrates, and each time his named (and his Satyr-goat face) is mentioned, to think about him being THE FRIEND OF HEMOCRATES. Now, if you get where "Socrates, the friend of Hemocrates" is from, GOOD FOR YOU. Hint: It's from a game. Want more hints? Orichalcum. Now go think about it, and do not google it. Really, everybody should know this. IT IS NOT FROM KOTOR. Did I get waylaid again? Anyway, I think it's going to be good going, other than too much reading. And yes, I should look past Hemocrates. Begone! Friend of Socrates! Maybe you voted against him! Or did you veto his thoughts? And to that guy who laughs at every single joke the lecturer makes, funny or not, yes, you know who you are, I know who you are, and "You are out friend", PLEASE STOP DAMMIT. Slamming the door... ah... so, utterly, Jockish. Good way to tell the lecturer to end the lecture too (not my lecturer). But why does Holbo have to walk around in headphones? Interesting. What's he listening too? The extracts of Plato? The spice girls?

Next up: What went first: Stats. This Kuk dude, from New Zealand, the most beautiful land in the world, is very sadly... lacking in New Zealandish, in my point of view of course. This, being my blog, allows me to be open to such persuasions, and of course to ignore all other forms of reasoning. That and that comments box is smallish. And it seems only I blog on comments. Anyway, he should lighten up a little. Really. He's not boring, but just extremely strict and totalitarian. Like a mini police state. We WILL make noise, and grumble about R language (our seniors got the excel and SPSS-like minitab... SPSS is quite fun, btw. Tried it before for work and then destroyed it)... But anyway R seems rather simple to use, somewhat like a mixture between unix and programming, which actually kinda works hand in hand if you think about it. Comparisons with DOS are wrong, since.... it's wrong. It's totally unDOS. Maybe qBasic, but not DOS. (Disk Operating System, i.e. pre-Windows, and not Denial of Service, internet freaks.)

And then: Popularising the Classics. About 20 people showed up for the lecture (which was planned for 120)... intimidating indeed. Still, Dr Edna Lim, while looking rather waifish or even elven, is a great lecturer, especially since the small group size does allow for better interaction, in a sense. One or 2 things to note is that she's rather young (but a Dr) and she seems to be looking at it from a lit person point of view while I'm like doing mental thingamajigs by thinking very filmish. I shall shoot an email down one day just for fun... try to do a little reasoning and persuasion. But really, I felt my day in NUS ended really well. Next on, of course, is chick-lit country, the mother of mills and boon, Jane Austen. Gah. Something about her makes me think she's from RGS. Or something.

Then, off to ACJC. Today was campfire, and I sat in ACJC, walked all over the place, reminisced a bit, and read Emma abit, saw how ugly the new smiley was abit and basically stayed there, lost in my own thoughts, from 4 to about 6. Good stuff. A stranger in a known land, and it was fun. Dinner proceeded, nothing much there, and after that it was back to school, and watching VERY PAINFUL SKITS (or please save me, Singapore English Language Theatre) and VERY BAD SINGING (too bad no Sound of Music) and of course "DON'T WASTE MY TIME". It's my favourite tee-shirt, but I must give it a rest for a while before I totally wash the thing to shreds. It's really quite funny when the (VERY BAD) emcee asks us to read our tee shirts and feel what it means: The noobs had ACS: Our hopes or something I kinda forgot, and me had: Don't waste my time. So cool! I feel like a jock. And of course, good thing we sang the school anthem in the end... otherwise it would be a waste of time.

Don't ask me how I write this in my head. Or actually plan it.

  

 

Comments: Post a Comment

ARCHIVES
December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 December 2006 January 2007

Stuff
Viv
Sam
Kakita
Pete
Raydance
Dexter